Thursday, March 16, 2006

Harassing the homeless

So, I promised in my first official blog that I would tell some intersting chaplain stories. This is not particularly related to being a chaplain, but it did happen at work.
A bag of BBQ baked lays is 3 Weight Watcher's points. When I was on-call the other night, I only at 2/3 of the bag, so I had roughly 1 point of chips remaining. As I made my exit at noon the next day after working 27 hours on-call I remembered the remaining chips and got so excited. I pulled them out to eat as I was walking out the chapel door and headed to the overpass to get to my car. From behind me I heard someone say, mmmm those chips sure look good. (I should tell you know that I have quite the relationship with the housekeeping staff at this hospital, particularly the male members of the team. We do quite a bit of flirting during the day, or rather they do and I try to figure out if I'm being sexually harassed--this is the beauty that is Amanda, my extreme naivete because I'm pretty sure that 92% of the time, I am.) So, I thought this was just a prelude to another of our romantic exchanges and seeing as how I hoard each and every one of those delicious points for myself, I was not going to turn around for fear I might be asked to share, so I just said in a very perky voice, YEP!!! They sure are tasty! and shook all of the crumbs into my mouth! Then I turned around and smiled and walked away. It was about 1.5 seconds after I turned around that I realized...that guy was homeless! I just chirped away about how tasty my potato chips are then walked off. Clearly, I've learned nothing from Arrested Development. And, so I just want to say sorry to that man. I'm sorry I didn't share my chips with you...Go 'head Mr. Wendal.
I saw a man with no clothes, no money, no plateMr.Wendal, that's his name,no one ever knew his name cause he's a no-oneNever thought twice about spending on a ol' bum,

No comments: