Wednesday, August 06, 2008

criminal

I almost hit a little boy today. I was pulling in the back entrance of the library, the one by the police station, and a little boy darted out on his bicycle from between the police cars. Fortunately, I was going slow and I spotted him about 4 feet before we would have made contact. At first, I could see him mouthing something and his face looked mad. I thought, surely, that little boy did not pull out in front of my car and then sass me, so I rolled down my window (Dear God, who am I turning into?) Then, I heard him say I'm sorry, I'm sorry, and realized that he was really scared. I didn't know what to say and didn't want to scare him any more, so I just said, be careful.

I freak out at the possibility of hitting an animal. (The one time I actually hit, though she ran off so I don't think I killed, a deer, about ended my driving career.) I can't imagine what it would do to me to hit a child. It really shook me up. As I think back on it, I can't help but wonder where that child's parent was. He couldn't have been more than 8 or 9.

No comments: