Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Who's the ho?

Apparently me.

I was at Target with my mom on Saturday night (where else would we celebrate her birthday?), and we were looking at a cute bathing suit cover up. Behind me, I heard a woman say, "SHUT UP" really loudly to a child. I turned to see what was going on and apparently the woman spotted me. I really don't think I made a face, though I admit to often doing so without knowing, but I know I only looked for a second. I didn't stare or anything. I turned back around, but then I heard, "WHAT?!, HO! What are you staring at? Make me sick!"

Me? Seriously? A ho? I looked around, but yes, it was me she was talking to.

I made a weird face to my mom like, um, can you believe this? But, my mom thought I was making a face about the cover up she was holding up to her. "What?" she said, several times!, I just stared at her..."nothing, mom" "No, really, What?" By this point I was worried that my "friend" would beat me down if she thought I was talking about her again. Finally I had to stare at my mom and mouth, mom, stop, now...seriously. And fortunately, she did.

When the situation cleared, I told her what happened. I was really upset about it. I don't know what I wish I would have done. I wish I wouldn't let things like that bother me. I also kind of wish I could have said something back. Something like, I'm sorry, ma'am, were you talking to me? But, she really was kind of scary. I told my mom I was afraid the girl would hear my mom and think I was talking about her and then she'd really go off. "I would have taken care of it," my mom said. Um, yeah, sure you would, mom.

3 comments:

Dinah said...

That's so awful. Random things like that can totally ruin your day.

I think I've been reading too much Shakespeare, because I read that "What, ho!" like "land ho!"

Tara said...

I was called a "little slut" once in high school. Shocked me completely, there was no rhyme or reason to it.

emily said...

Hahaha Dinah- What Ho!? What light through yonder Target bulls-eye breakss? It is the east and that cover- up is the deal.

I'm tired.

I hate when that happens. You never know if one of those crazies really WILL be crazy-crazy and really try to beat you.