Thursday, February 19, 2009

I want to be a princess

I've always loved Disney. I know the songs, the stories, the characters, etc. I spent many an elementary and middle school afternoon watching The NEW Mickey Mouse Club on the Disney Channel. Keri Russel, JC Chasez, Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, and assorted other random friends who now appear in Lifetime movie and McDonald's commercials were my afternoon companions. I love it!...all of it! I first visited Walt Disney World when I was 16. My mom waited to take me until I was old enough to appreciate it. Some parents may have thought I would be too old, but I am a kid at heart and I ate it up.

Last weekend, my husband and I went to Disney World for Valentine's Day. Magical things happen for us at Disney. We were engaged there in 2006. (yeah, it's cheesy, but I'm a cheesy girl) And, since we're thinking about expanding our family, we thought "why not corrupt the Magic Kingdom?" Okay, so that's not exactly how it went, but that's a story for a different day.

Anyway, while we were there, I was able to get right in front of the new show at Cinderella's Castle. I love the Castle. Love. It. Ever since I saw Princess Diaries, I've had a secret hope that one day I will become a princess and buy Cinderella's Castle. Hey, a girl can dream, right? Why not go big? At the show, i got completely caught up in the whole thing. I was thrilled to be able to see so may of the princesses, and their princes, up close.

At Epcot, I got my picture taken with Belle, Mulan, and Pocahontas, (yes, I still do that!) and I spotted Snow White and Jasmine and I started to think about how long it had been since we got a new princess. I'm not sure who Jiselle is affiliated with, because I do love her and regularly since the Happy Little Working Song in her honor, but I did not spot her at Disney.

Sure enough, today I heard some exciting news. A new princess is on her way and she's an African American. It's about time.

Here's a shot of our new princess in doll form with her human actress counterpart. Princess Tiana is going to be featured in the story of the frog prince and is also going to mark Disney's return to 2D animation. Now we just have to hope that we get some good folks lined up for the music.

No comments: