Thursday, July 12, 2007

secret identity

I was in the hallway today facing the wall and finishing up a chart note so I could get to my adolescent psych group (I was actually leading, not participating, believe it or not) when I heard someone call, "Christy! How did it go?! How was everything!" I turned around to get out of Christy's way since it sounded like she must be close and spotted a woman I work with. She and I don't work really closely. She's in some kind of nursing management, but we do see each other at least once a week at a team meeting and she always stops me to chat about the wedding. Her daughter is getting married in September and she loves to compare notes. We stayed an hour after the last one before my wedding.

As I turned around and spotted her, but didn't spot Christy, I realized she was talking to me. I am Christy.

She quickly dove into the conversation asking me tons of questions and telling me how she'd prayed for me at 5:30 that day (it was nice of her to give it an extra 30 minutes for it to take effect). She didn't say my name again, so I don't know if it was a one time slip up, or she thinks my name really is Christy, and of course I didn't correct her because that would be awkward, almost as awkward as responding to Christy for the rest of the time I work here. I could use this to my advantage, like when that guy at work thought Chandler was someone else* and told him all kinds of gossip about him. You know what else is crazy? This woman and I have worked together for 2 years!

*PS-Please, someone, tell me who he thought Chandler was? I can't remember (something with a W). Or you can tell me the season and I'll find it on my own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob: Hey Toby! Have a good night. (Walks by.)

Ross: Did that guy just call you Toby?

Chandler: Yeah, he thinks that’s my name.

Ross: Well, why don’t you correct him?

Chandler: Oh it’s been going on way too long now. Y’know, I mean the first time he said it we were just passing each other in the hallway, so I didn’t say anything. And then the next time he said, "Hey Toby, do you want a donut?" And I-I wanted a donut. And now it’s five years later, the donut’s gone and I’m still Toby.

MC said...

There was a similar situation on Seinfeld with Elaine when a coworker started calling her Susie.